Simply Green Farm
Farm Intern Rules and Expectations
- Self-starter, eager learner, situationally aware, teachable, positive, non-complaining, grateful, dependable, perseverant, take-responsibility characters.
- Must be at least 18 years of age at the start of internship.
- A background check and an interview (in person or phone) are required as part of the selection process.
- Accommodations include use of the main house kitchen, access to the main house bathroom, and a tent or tiny cabin. You can eat within reason from the Simply Green Farm food supply. Prepare your own breakfast and lunch. Evening meals provided communally with the Taylors. Helping to prepare the evening meal may be a part of farm duties. Laundry facilities provided.
- Quarters do not include phone or internet. The main house does have internet that you may use. You may be able to connect to the main house wifi from outside the main house. Cell phone service is spotty. You may give the house phone number to close friends and family in case of emergency. Limited use of the house phone may be available if needed.
- Keep sleeping quarters clean to avoid inviting any unwanted critters from visiting.
- Work days are on average 5.5 hours long and occur 5.5 days a week. Some farm activities require longer days (ie. During haying season) and will be offset by time off given during that week or the week following. Scheduling flexibility is required. You are welcome to spend your extra time on the farm or with the animals.
- Possible educational opportunities may include cattle handling, fence set up and design, winter animal care and housing, poultry care and processing, pig care, care of dairy animals, milk processing, farm marketing, customer interaction, construction projects, gardening, and more.
- General grounds maintenance is part of operating a successful sustainable farm. Interns will be asked to do grounds maintenance duties as part of their farm work.
- Farm internship is physically demanding, sometimes requiring long, physical days. Lifting up to 60lbs is required.
- We value integrity above all. It is of the utmost importance to have integrity of character and to maintain and promote high food integrity.
- Your visitors are welcome to come during your off time and must leave by 10pm. Your visitors are your responsibility. Notify us prior to your visitors’ arrival.
- We maintain a professional work environment. There are no drugs, alcohol, or fraternizing allowed.
- Have fun and work hard! We are passionate about what we do and we have the wonderful gift of interacting with customers who are just as excited as we are. So, enjoy the process!
- Discussions about farming are welcome! Informal education of organic, sustainable farming is provided on-farm throughout the day. We have a small library of excellent books that you are welcome to use.
- There may be opportunities, depending on your length of stay, for completion of personal projects during off time and/or use of a space for growing personal produce.
- We encourage attendance of off-farm educational opportunities offered at local farms and community centers.